Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Filoli- a preserved mansion and grounds from the early 20th Century.

By Cindy Meredith, Proprietor of The Herb Cottage

In late February I visited my family in California's San Francisco Bay Area. During my stay we visited an early 20th Century mansion called Filoli. The estate is about 30 miles south of San Franciso in a rural community called Woodside. The Mansion itself is open and gives a glimpse of a life of wealth in the first half of the 20th Century. While I'm not so much into looking at furniture, carpets and wallpaper, the grounds of Filoli captivated me. Most of the gardens are formal with long, axial views to a focal point. The eastern slope of the Santa Cruz Mountains forms a rustic backdrop to the place that makes the formality of the grounds even more appealing.

For more information and beautiful photos of Filoli, go to Filoli- a preserved mansion and grounds from the early 20th Century.

No comments: