Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Pre-sprout your Potatoes

I just saw this in the online Texas Gardener's Seed online magazine.
Gardening tips
How you ever pre-sprouted your potatoes? This technique will give you a jump on the growing season. It is kind of like starting your vegetable seedlings inside. Just place your seed potatoes in a warm (70 degree or so) spot with a little indirect light about two weeks before you intend to plant them. When the sprouts are about 1/2-inch long, it is time to cut the potatoes into seed pieces, dip in sulfur and plant.

Well, I just had to laugh. I pre-sprout potatoes from every bag of them I buy.  I just can't help it, it happens. In the dark of my pantry they always think it is spring.  


Texas Gardener's Seed is always good to read. 

To subscribe go here.

No comments: