Saturday, September 21, 2013

LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY!!

 

I try to work on my vocabulary a little everyday, so on my home page screen, I have the Merriam-Webster Word of the Day! Today I found a word to be very interesting, i.e. fraxinella. It means the following:

fraxinella \frak-suh-NEL-uh\
noun
: a Eurasian perennial herb (Dictamnus albus) of the rue family with flowers that emit an aromatic flammable vapor in hot weather


I did a Google search and found out more about this interesting herb. It is known variously as burning bush, false dittany, white dittany, gas plant and fraxinella. It is an herbaceous perennial, native to warm, open woodland habitats in southern Europe, north Africa and much of Asia. It has been suggested that the "burning bush" in the Bible was a fraxinella.
 
So you might want to check out the Merriam-Webster Word of the Day website for more information!

 Great Gardening on this first "cool-front day of fall" in south Texas!


Photo courtesy of Marcin Sikora.

No comments: